Valentine’s Day is upon us! It is that time of the year where we showcase our somewhat embarrassing hidden poetry talent and whip out the largest bouquets, all in a bid to express our undying love and devotion. However, at the heart of this day lies hearty meals, indulgent sweets and decadent treats. If you’ve recently embarked on the bariatric adventure, whether through surgery or a gastric balloon, you might be wondering how to keep the romance alive without straying from your newfound mindful eating habits.
Worry not! I’ve got your back with some post-bariatric procedure Valentine’s Day wisdom that keeps it light, fun, and of course, mindful.
1. Intimate Home-Cooked Feasts: After your bariatric procedure, you’ve likely become the maestro of portion control. So, instead of eating out, why not turn Valentine’s Day into a culinary masterpiece at home? Get cozy in the kitchen with your significant other, experimenting with flavours and crafting a nutritious meal that’s as delightful as your love story. Engaging in the cooking process can be a shared, mindful experience, nurturing that precious connection between you two.
2. Candlelit Bliss – Mindful Style: Set the mood with a candlelit dinner, but this time, with a mindful twist. Those candles aren’t just for ambiance; they’re your mindfulness guides. Take each bite intentionally, savouring the textures and flavours. Slow down, chat, and revel in the moment. Your journey post-bariatric procedure is about more than just weight loss; it’s about embracing a healthier relationship with food. As we like to say at Nairobi Bariatric Center, ” connect your mind to your stomach “; this is truly the essence of Mindful eating.
3. Berries and Beyond: Swap out traditional sugary candies for nature’s candy – berries! Strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries are not only sweet but also packed with antioxidants, vitamins, and fiber. Create a vibrant fruit salad or better yet, dip them in dark chocolate for a guilt-free indulgence. It’s a delightful treat that aligns perfectly with your post-bariatric lifestyle.
4. Dark Chocolate Indulgence – In Moderation: You’ve learned the art of moderation, and that includes indulging in some dark chocolate delights. Dark chocolate is not only lower in sugar but also rich in antioxidants. Choose a high cocoa content for maximum flavour and health benefits. It’s the perfect way to satisfy your sweet tooth without derailing your weight loss and mindful eating journey.
5. Sip and Savour – Wine Edition: One year post-bariatric procedure, you’ve mastered the art of sipping and savouring. So, why not extend that finesse to a glass of red wine? Opt for quality over quantity and let the aromas dance with your senses, take small sips, and relish the experience. It’s not just a drink; it’s a mindful celebration of love, health, and happiness.
Valentine’s Day after a bariatric procedure is a chance to celebrate your journey, embrace the new you, and cherish the love you share. Keep it light, keep it fun, and most importantly, keep it mindful. After all, every bite is a step towards a healthier, happier you. Happy Valentine’s Day, mindful warriors!